Recycling of Plastics

Plastics are wonderful materials. They are lightweight and inexpensive. They are readily used for making packaging materials and variety of other stuffs. But these plastics create a huge waste problem. It is difficult to dispose plastics. Any plastic goods carelessly thrown in the water ends up in guts of fishes and whales. Even burning of…

Challenges for Women in Modern India

Women in modern India especially in large cities have diverse professions as doctors, engineers, entrepreneurs, pilots and police officers. Women have found employment in fields that were traditionally considered as male dominated. Though women have achieved and outshined in every field, they still face gender biased discrimination at almost every field of employment. Even today…

Types of Biodegradable Plastics

In my previous post on “Are Biodegradable plastics the Future of Plastics”, I have briefly mentioned about the types of biodegradable plastics but in this post I will go into details. Based on source, there are two types of biodegradable plastics. They are:- Synthetic Biodegradable plastics Bioplastics Now let us dig deeper into these. 1….

Solid Waste Management Hierarchy

Waste management is the process in which the wastes are being collected, processed, and recycled to convert them into useful products or to disposed them in environment friendly manner. Solid Waste management has several steps which are ranked according to their preference. 1. Prevention This is the most preferred step in solid waste management hierarchy….

Carbon Capture Technologies

In my previous post on “Management of Carbon Emissions in Industries”, I have briefly mentioned about carbon capture and storage. In this post, I am going discuss various technologies used for carbon capture. Carbon dioxide has been captured from industries for more than 80 years. It is captured for industrial uses such as urea and…

Are Biodegradable Plastics the Future of Plastics?

Plastics are versatile materials. They are used to manufacture many useful products like bags, buckets, cups, mugs, food wraps, product packaging etc. Plastics are long carbon chain polymers and are mostly produced from petrochemicals. In spite of their benefits, they have been bad for the environment. Hardly few of them are recycled and most of…

Biolubricants: Lubricants for the Future

Lubricants are used in engine and machine parts to reduce wear and tear and ensure smooth functioning of the machinery. Lubricants are mostly of petroleum origin. Lubricants consist 70% of petroleum based oil and the rest 30% are additives which modify the general properties of base oil to meet the requirements. The main problem with…

Radioactive Waste Management

Originally posted on Ishanee's blog:
Some radioactive wastes are produced in all parts of the nuclear cycle. Unlike other wastes, radioactive wastes diminishes with time. Each radionucleotide contained in the radioactive waste has half-life (which is the time taken for half the atom to decay). Radionucleotides with long half-lives tend to be alpha and…